|ON2 Retrofit Car Sides
Narrowing the Bachmann On30 Frame
Disassembling the Bachmann car:
1. Remove the roof by gently squeeze the roof to disengage the roof clips
2. The wires for the light come through holes in the plastic cross piece. Cut the wires just below the
solder joint so that the wires can be pulled down through the holes.
3. The plastic body is attached to the frame by 2 clips through each end platform and 6 clips along the
floor, which interlock with the lower edge of the clear plastic. Place two fingers into the body and
gently press outward to release the side clips. This should release the body and allow it to be lifted off.
4. Remove the 2 small screws holding the
interior and remove the assembly.
5. Remove the 2 screws attaching the trucks,
then remove the trucks for later reuse.
Cut the frame into 3 segments along
the floorboard lines.
1 It is handy to use the scrap Bachmann car
body as a cutting fixture, with the frame
placed upside down on top of the car body.
2. Using the floor boards as a guide, cut both
ends of the frame between the wheel bolster
and the truss rods, as shown in the photo
Narrow each the frame segment.
1 Cut 1/8 inch from each side of the Platform segments (removing the lower step).
2. Cut 1/4 inch from thecenter Frame segment.
Reassembly of the 36” frame
1. File the cut edges smooth. File off any traces of the lower steps.
2. Glue the two center segment pieces together, place in the new wooden car body to dry.
3. Glue the two Platform segments to the center segment.
Reassembly of the 46” frame
1. File the cut edges smooth. File off any traces
of the lower steps.
2. Glue the two center segment pieces together,
place in the new wooden car body to dry.
3. Test fit the long wooden floor board on the
inner frame, around the metal weight.
Glue with ACC.
4. Glue the one of the lower floor spacers
under the long wooden floor board,
snug against the plastic frame.
5. Glue one of the plastic frame ends under the
long wooden floor board, snug against the
lower floor spacer. Check that the frame
is straight before the glue hardens.
6. The spacing between the steps on the frame
should match the car body. Place the
second lower floor spacer and plastic frame
end in position and verify the correct spacing.
Adjust if necessary before gluing in place.
7. Test fit the 4 frame beam extensions on each
end, and then glue in place.